Friday, October 10, 2008

First day back to work!

Today was my first day back at work after my moronic injury. After a month of being off I figured that I would be kinda rusty but would be able to hop back in and roll with it. It started off shaky as I still had an inactive status. After all that was cleared up the day started to go smooth. We had a situation that made a plane inoperable. I felt bad because I wanted to be able to use my damage control skills but had to just sit back in baggage and listen to it unfold. I really figured out why I moved to work for an airline. If you treat people right you can make everything okay for that moment for them to not panic. At the end of my shift I had to go down to baggage and make sure there were no people with displaced bags. This was a night that there wasn't. I actually had three extra bags on the carousel. As I was collecting the bags there was this lady who had a military duffel bag, a garment bag, a laptop bag and a purse. I usually try to offer help to people that need it. She said she wasn't sure where she was going but had to be at Ft Lewis and then asked if we had an USO. I told her that we did and if she waited for the people to come get the last bags I would walk her up there and help her with her bags. She said okay. So an older couple came and got the bags that was theirs( ironically the Williams'). I locked the third bag up and assisted her with her things. She told me that she grew up in NY(45 minutes south of Syracuse) had Basic in South Carolina(Ft Jackson where I was born) and had training in Orlando. It was her first time in Washington and didn't know a familiar face. Since she looked frightened I told her that I was born on Fort Jackson, also had training in Orlando(for jB) and had been to upstate NY for training at Darien Lake Theme Park. She seemed happy that someone was actually talking to her. As we were walking to USO I politely thanked her for serving our country and wished her the best of luck. She told me that it was the most genuine kind gesture that anyone has ever offered to her. I graciously smiled and told her that if I was in her shoes I would hope someone would offer me the same hand. Just being able to help a person in need really puts my job into perspective. As always thanks for reading and have the best day week month possible!



C3

No comments: